Breathing Benefits of Pranayama
“For breath is life, and if you breathe well you will live long on earth”
Pranayama is the formal practice of controlling the breath, which is the source of our prana, or vital life force.
Our breathing is influenced by our thoughts, and our thoughts and physiology can be influenced by our breath. Learning to breathe consciously and with awareness is the fourth limb of yoga, and it can be a valuable tool in helping to restore balance in the mind and body.
Here are some of the pranayama exercises & poses, breathing techniques and sequences that we practice.
- Kumbhaka Pranayama – Breath Retention
- Ujjayi Pranayama – Conquerer Breath
- Nadi Shodana Pranayama – Channel Cleaning Breath
- Kapalabhati Pranayama – Shining Breath
- Surya/Chandra Bhedana Pranayama – Single Nostril Breath